The subject property is a Dairy Queen Grill & Chill restaurant located in the Dallas suburb of Grand Prairie, Texas. The Property consists of a freestanding 4,400 square foot building, with drive-through lane, on 1.2 acres of land along west-bound Interstate 20 near the Great SW Parkway intersection.
Dairy Queen – Grand Prairie, Texas
Dairy Queen began with the 10-cent sale of a then unnamed product on August 4, 1938, in Kankakee, Illinois. A father and son partnership in Green River, Illinois, had been experimenting with a soft frozen dairy product for some time. They contacted Sherb Noble, a good friend and customer, who agreed to run the “all you can eat” trial sale at his walk-in ice cream store. Within two hours, he dished out more than 1,600 servings of the new dessert.
Back then, food franchising was all but unheard of, but the new product’s potential made it a natural for such a system. When the United States entered World War II in December 1941, there were fewer than 10 Dairy Queen® stores. However, shortly after the war, the system took off at a pace virtually unrivaled before or since. With only 100 stores in 1947, it grew to 1,446 in 1950 and then to 2,600 in 1955. Today, the DQ® system is one of the largest fast food systems in the world, with more than 6,300 restaurants in the United States, Canada and 18 other countries. Today they are a wholly owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway led by Warren Buffett. Dairy Queen has a very large presence in Texas with over 600 locations throughout the state.